Tuesday, March 23, 2010

New Update

My doctor called at 7:10 am (talk about prompt!).
His assessment is that I am in withdrawal from Cesamet and it could be, possibly, up to another week before I am completely over it (this, in spite of the fact that it is now fully one week since the last capsule was ingested!).
He told me to continue as I'm doing and each day will get better (which it is) but I have to go slowly.
He suggested that I start introducing solid foods, very slowly of course, to see if I can handle it without inducing nausea.  (I have been managing solids at breakfast the past couple of days, and soups for lunch and dinner, so that is good progress.)
He is terribly concerned about my pain management and was relieved to hear that the TENs unit gives me as much relief as it does.
My reaction to the Codeine was in all likelihood a result of the combined Cesamet/Codeine.
To add to the mix, I deveoped a headache yesterday and this is the first time in over two years that I have had a headache of any kind!
His instruction is to try Tylenol #1, which contains a lower dose of Codeine than my current supply of Tylenol #3 or Codeine Contin, as a test to confirm that I can tolerate it now that I am off the Cesamet.   (If I cannot tolerate Codeine, I am in very big doo-doo because I cannot tolerate very many pain meds.)
John has gone to the pharmacy to get some Tylenol #1 for me.
I am to send the doctor another fax on Friday morning (just one page please) to let him know how I'm progressing and he will telephone again that afternoon.
He expects by then that I will be much more improved.
I sure hope so!
For now, that's all folks.  I'm going to lie down again.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Fingers are crossed that the Tylenol # 1 helps! xoxo