Saturday, March 13, 2010

Here we go again!

So now we have the proof we need:  I can no longer take Codeine Contin.
Yet another pain medication taken out of contention for my use.
Tomorrow, I'll be making the last reduction in my Cesamet dosage -- going down to .5 mg a day for the next four days.  I've been planning a celebration of sorts for Wednesday, March 17th, since it will be the last day I'll be taking that poison.
But remember the itchiness that I've been complaining about since shortly after I re-introduced the Codeine Contin to my regimen?
If it was related to the drug, it was either going to settle down as my body became accustomed to it, or it was going to worsen as I continued taking it.
You guessed it.
Today, I'm scratching away, as I've been doing every day for the past two weeks.
But this time, as I was trying to get some relief, I could feel the bumps across my back.
Into John I went, where he was workng on some photos and using his bright lights.
Could he see anything suspicious?
"Yup," he says, "you've got a rash all over your back!"
"A rash like hives or just a rash of red bumps?" I asked.
"Oh no, it's hives alright."
Damn!
So I looked up the pharmacology for Codeine Contin:
Contact your doctor if you experience these side effects:  constipation; nausea; sweating; itching; dry mouth.  (There are others, but I've only listed the ones I've been experiencing, some of which I knew to expect but the nausea, sweating and itching were news to me.)
Check with your doctor as soon as possible if any of the following side effects occur:  depression; difficulty urinating; hives or skin rash. (Not usually given to depression, I was beginning to get very concerned about my  mental state.  And my famous thimble-sized bladder has been somewhat reluctant to give up its holdings lately.)
Interesting though, it doesn't mention bruising as a side effect and I'm again collecting bruises that would give anyone the impression that I'm a seriously battered woman.  This morning, I woke to a lovely shiner in my right eye -- it looks like I slept with my glasses on and the nose pad was pushed into my face with horrid force.
Now, the really curious thing about this development is:  I've been using codeine in various forms for all my adult life, without difficulty.
I mean, codeine is in many prescribed products.
Hell, I carry Tylenol #3 in my purse for those now rare occasions when I get a headache.
I have always tolerated codeine very well.
And now, after we establish without a doubt that I can't tolerate Cesamet, it turns out that I can also not tolerate codeine?
Great!
The next three weeks are really going to be a challenge.
I finish the Cesamet on Wednesday; I can't take Codeine Contin any more; simple Tylenol certainly doesn't do anything for me.
All that leaves me with is my trunk full of non-invasive pain management tools:  jet massage tub; acupen; TENs machine; shiatsu massager; ice packs; stair lift; walking cane; and I guess we move up the calendar on that dreaded walker!
My April 8th appointment with my doctor is going to be a shocker for him.  I sure hope he doesn't throw his arms up in frustration when I bring him up to speed on this one!  Fat chance I'll be able to convince him that I don't need that pain patch now.
John's reaction was, "What are we going to do with you?"
I offered that he could take me out back and shoot me but he didn't seem to like the sound of that idea.
So I went over to him, and hugged him as I said, "If you want to trade your wife in for a new model, I'll certainly understand."
He hugged  me tightly and assured me that he'd keep the old model but  it is oh so frustrating and difficult to deal with.
Ain't that the truth!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.

Natalie said...

Tell John I'm glad that he didn't agree to take you out back, that would have really upset me! Stay strong mommy, eventually something will be found to work on your pain...maybe...I hope, my fingers are crossed.