Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Boxes, boxes everywhere

Is it possible for a person to drown in boxes?
Because that's what I believe is happening to me.
Boxes seem to be taking over every room in this house.
I had to vacate the place yesterday while the drywaller came in to do the final sanding of my sanctuary. There was no way I could be present for that stage of the preparation. Fortunately, I had appointments in the big city so it wasn't difficult for me to fill in the time.
When I arrived back home, the room was finished, ready to be painted:
Beautiful isn't it?  Too bad it has to sit -- again -- while the contractor(s) go hunting (not a contractor in Lanark County who doesn't shut down for the deer hunt the first week of November every year!).
You will recall that the contents of the pantry have been sitting out on the porch since late September, waiting to be relocated to their new homes (no way everything will fit back into the new, smaller pantry that will be left).
In addition to that mess, I now have boxes filling up the dining room:
Boxes taking up space in the entrance way:
That's my new filing cabinet and the lighting fixtures for my sanctuary.  Behind the red door?  The trim that is being prepared for my sanctuary -- John has been working hard for weeks sanding and varathaning to get it ready on time!
And of course, there are boxes in the "old" office (soon to be John's studio), waiting to be moved to their new home:
Now I'm told that I will move into this sanctuary by the end of November -- guaranteed!  Here's the scoop:
Builder man will be here on Monday, November 8th, to build the shelving for the closets (pantry and sanctuary) and to install the crown moulding before painter man shows up.
Painter man arrives on Tuesday, November 9th -- at which point I hightail it out of here for at least two nights while both my sanctuary and the pantry are painted (primed and two coats of paint).
Painting will take at minimum the 9th, 10th and 11th (but I'm coming home on the 11th because I have a massage session booked for that afternoon and I refuse to miss it).  We will have to put a plastic barrier up between the main house and the pantry entrance when I get home, and keep the sanctuary windows open to minimize the fumes for me.
Builder man will install the floor once the painting is completed, and then all the trim has to be installed (and there's lots of it!).
So, the way I figure it, I could conceivably be moving in by Wednesday, November 17th (yes folks, two weeks from today!).  But even allowing for as-yet-to-be determined unforeseen delays, I'm guessing that the outside limit for move-in day will be the week-end of November 20th (are you paying attention MLC and Pauple?).
Imagine.  A mere three months ago, my sanctuary was just a vision ...

2 comments:

YLC said...

Yes we are paying attention. We will be available on the Thursday, Friday or Saturday if it's all done by the 17th. Let us know.

C. Bonnie Fowler said...

You can be sure you will be notified (but I have to take a break for my massage on the Thursday ...)