Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I've got crown moulding ...

Builder man and assistant showed up bright and early yesterday morning and got right up to work (notice John there, ready to take pictures ...)
By lunch time, they were all but finished, including having installed supports for the new pantry shelving:
As I've stated here many times already, the new pantry will be about a third the size of its former self but it looks like this one will be quite roomy anyway.  John and I had a most interesting discussion once these supports were visible.
J:  "That's an awful lot of pantry you're going to have there, Bonnie."
B:  "Not anything like what we had before darling."
J:  "Yeh, but there was a lot of junk in there before; shit we never used."
B:  "Oh, like the stuff you won't allow me to throw out you mean?"
His smile indicated that he got the message loud and clear, and that he just might let me wean some stuff from the holdings.
You see, I've been trying for years to clean up this place of non-requisite "junk" but John simply can't part with his beloved nothings.  (I maintain that he'll never get rid of me -- he can't throw anything out!)
Anyway, here is my sanctuary as it appeared yesterday afternoon, waiting for painter man to arrive (he is due here at 8:00am this morning).  This is a shot looking towards the north window (look at that view!). 
My desk will be in the right hand corner, so I will be facing the east window or the north window, depending on what I'm doing.  But most of the time, that north window will be behind me, to my left.
And here's my sanctuary from the north window, looking back into the existing house. (See builder man there?  He's measuring the door for the pantry.)  
The small closet on the left will be a broom/vacuum cleaner closet; the larger closet on the right will have sliding mirror doors and will play a dual role.  The left half will be chock-a-block full of shelves (can one ever have enough shelves?), while the right half will be an off-season wardrobe closet.
I'll be leaving home this morning, once painter man gets here.  I need to verify that he brings the correct colour palette and will be doing exactly as I asked.  Since I can't be here to catch errors, I want to make absolutely certain that everyone is singing from the same songbook.
John has been duly tasked with staying on top of the situation, vis-a-vis my colour choices.
When I return in three days' time, I'll post photos of the finished masterpiece.
It's going to be oh so gorgeous!

No comments: