Sunday, November 7, 2010

The pain is lessening

I'm gradually becoming more mobile again.
My hands remained quite inflamed right through yesterday -- hence I hadn't posted here in the interim.
It occurred to both John and me that I was probably not doing my hands any favours though.
You see, I've spent the past few days packing my office -- getting it readier for moving day. (I'm convinced that moving day will arrive, eventually, and I want to be ready to go when that day comes.)
So now, everything that can be packed, is packed.
And boxes surround me, everywhere.
File cabinets are emptied so they can be moved easily.
Desk drawers will be moved individually (contents included), making the desk itself slightly easier to move.
The shelf unit that is affixed to the wall has to be rebuilt to accommodate the space in my sanctuary.   I can visualize the reworked shelving in its soon-to-be new home and I'm quite anxious about the redesign.  It's going to be quite attractive, I just know it! 
I also took the opportunity yesterday to take some of the pantry contents that have been living on the porch and move them to the new shelf that was put up in the laundry room for the express purpose of storing "pantry overflow."  Since the new pantry is going to be about a third the size of its former self, there will be excess content, all of which will need to find new homes.  May as well get started on those projects that are inevitable!
The bottom line is, all the packing and rejuggling of boxes didn't do my hands any favours.
So while the initial cause of the inflammation was, I'm sure, exposure to the varathane, I haven't been giving my hands sufficient time to recover before I bombarded them with tasks that, in the best of times, would send them into overdrive.  No wonder they have been staying so sore!
Needless to say, today they will take the day off and recover properly.
The day of R&R will also give my body, most especially my left hip, a chance to recover too -- it has been screaming for relief.  That could be because of the abuse I subjected my legs to yesterday when we went into town to visit the Christmas craft sales that abound in this area.  I love looking at all the creative stuff that the artisans are peddling, but it simply involves way too much walking for me.  At one point, I had to tell John that he was "walking too fast" for me, and he was not going very fast at all.  Pathetic really!

No comments: