Friday, November 12, 2010

Yet another delay

Sometimes I think my sanctuary will never be ready for move-in day.
I went away for three days to allow the painting to happen -- and it did get done (in just two days!).
On the third day, builder man came in and started installing the trim (a herculean effort if ever there was one!) and he built the shelving for the closets and the pantry (now there was a challenge).
Anyway, when I was heading out on Tuesday, John had called me and advised that painter man didn't think we should paint the pantry the colour I had chosen (same as sanctuary ceiling) because the ceiling paint wasn't as durable as the wall paint.  (Remember that  I had wanted to meet with painter man before I vacated the premises? He was supposed to get there by 8:00am - or so I thought.  I waited as long as I dared but finally had to leave at 8:30am because I had an appointment in the big city at 9:30am.  John told me he arrived at 9:00am -- his "start time" both days.)  So, I told John to have him paint the pantry the same as the sanctuary walls then.  Sounded logical to me (the ceiling was being painted a lighter "gray" than the walls).
So I get home and the first thing one sees as one approaches is the pantry (one must walk through the kitchen to get to my sanctuary).
And it jumps out at me.  The walls are darker than the pantry door, which looks white in comparison.  I don't like it!
As I found out later, he did paint the walls of the pantry entrance the same colour as the sanctuary walls, but he acquired a quart of higher grade paint in the same colour as the ceiling so he could paint the door!  So, why weren't the walls painted that same colour with that higher-grade wall paint I ask?  Why on earth would I want the door different from the walls when I asked that they be the same?  I'm guessing that the higher grade wall paint used on the door would also be suitable for the walls.  Which means my original request could and should have been met (I'm paying for the paint anyway).  Duhhhh!!!! 
But I digress.
And at least I have lots of shelves in my pantry (which is a good thing let me tell you!)
Into the sanctuary I go (where the boys are still working putting the trim on and hanging doors).
It is just as I asked -- and it's gorgeous (albeit still very cluttered with lumber and miscellaneous work equipment).
The ceiling is lighter than the walls.
The walls are a light blue-grey.
The crown moulding is navy.
The doors are navy.
It is stunning!  Just the effect I was trying to achieve.
And I have a closet with shelves -- lots of shelves!
My sanctuary, as seen from the north wall; the sliding mirror door will be installed after the floor is in place.
And here is a view of my sanctuary's north wall, now fully painted and waiting for the electrician to come back and finish wiring the room.
So, why did I title this post "Yet another delay," you ask?
Because today, nothing further will be happening.
In spite of the fact that the electrician needs to come and do his thing.
In spite of the fact that there is still trim to be installed (lots of it too!).
In spite of the fact that the painter has to come back to fix the screw-up with the colour of the pantry door.  (It will be painted to match the walls and I have asked that he do that on Tuesday next week when I again have to be out of the house.)
In spite of the fact that the heating guy has to come and hook up the ducts to our existing system (the vents have now been cut in the floor so he can come any time).
In spite of the fact that the floor still has to be installed.
Any one of the above could be being done today.
But no.
My builder guy isn't showing up here today (for why, I know not).
Builder guy will be back on Monday to proceed with this project.
So, yet another day down the tubes.
I don't like unnecessary delays on any project.
Once started, I like to see things done in a timely fashion.
This, my friends, is not timely.
If not for the delays that have occurred for hunting purposes, my sanctuary would already be complete.
Apparently, one should not embark on a building project in the country in the fall.
Not unless one is prepared to put one's entire upside-down life on hold for much too long.
My horoscope for today states:  "Making some changes to your home will be pleasing and will benefit you in many ways."
Precisely.  So get on with it so I can benefit already.

No comments: