Friday, April 30, 2010

About that tummy tuck ...

It's on ...
It's off ...
I don't know what to do.
You see, I really, really, really, want to have a flat tummy.
Been coveting one for the past 30 years, at least!
And for over 30 years I've been told that the only way I'm gonna have that flat tummy is by surgical intervention.
Why?
Because I've had too many abdominal surgeries which have destroyed the muscles, negating all efforts on my part to flatten my tummy.
Doesn't matter how thin I get.
Or how many sit-ups I do.
Not gonna happen.
There is no muscle to tighten.
It's gone.
Destroyed with surgeries to remove my appendix; to explore and diagnose endometriosis; to correct all the damage from that endometriosis and ultimately allow me to successfully sustain a pregnancy and give birth to my little chickadee (the greatest joy of my life!); to then perform the hysterectomy that became necessary to finally rid me of the returning endometriosis three years after that successful pregnancy.
So now, I'm finally ready to proceed with the tummy tuck.
And I'm finally in a financial position to afford that tummy tuck.
And I'm ready for the short term pain for long term gain.
That was last week.
But this week, I'm not so sure.
I hate my flabby tummy.
I really really really hate my flabby tummy.
I want it gone.
But do I really want to go under the knife to get rid of it?
It really isn't all that bad.
It's just bad enough to annoy me.
I've learned to suck it in such that most people don't even know I have a tummy ('cept when I get sloppy about it). 
But the point is, it annoys me and I want it gone.
Yet, with all my other health issues, my gut is telling me not to go ahead with it.
My policy has always been when in doubt, don't.
Therefore, since I'm having doubts, I'm thinking I won't.

5 comments:

Shannon YFN said...

I agree with you but only because of your health. If you were not worn down and exhausted from the current lack of sleep and pain I would say "go ahead you worked hard you deserve it" but your health is most important. We'll all love you just the same! There or not we will respect and honor your choice. Have you tried Spanx - I heard their great and a lot less painful than surgery.

C. Bonnie Fowler said...

Oh MFN, you are such a sweetheart.
I have all sorts of camouflaging undergarments to hide my flabby tummy from the outside world. My difficulty is what I have to look at when I am nude. I want the tuck for me and nobody else. But ... as you said, my health comes first.
Love you.
YFA

Shannon YFN said...

Just dont look when your naked or get in front of a mirror(i dont!)

Christine said...

I find if I don't listen to the little voice inside me, I always rue the day.

IF you have any doubts, its probably not the way to go.

A friend of mine with fibro had necessary shoulder surgery. The surgery went well but it triggered a huge attack of the fibro.

christine

C. Bonnie Fowler said...

YFN -- not looking in the mirror might work some of the time but every time I go to the washroom, I look down and see that blob!!! So there.

Christine -- Yes, you are absolutely right about the surgery causing a major fibro flare-up (that's part of what I meant about short term pain for long term gain). But, since my policy has always been "when in doubt, don't" -- I gotta go with my gut on this one (even if I really really really really really want rid of this damned tummy!)