Friday, April 16, 2010

Should have cancelled that massage

Yesterday was massage day and my therapist always takes a recap of my health before I get on the table.
So we did the usual Q&A and then she leaves the room while I get undressed.
I jump on the table and when she comes back into the room, I mention that I forgot to tell her that I'm now also on blood pressure meds (we hope temporarily) and that I had had to see my medic the day before about my allergies.
And when I tell her that I had received a steroid injection, she steps back and starts asking even more questions:  Where did he give me the shot?  What was it? etc.
Then she tells me that she'll not be massaging my left hip area at all because she could cause damage to the bones so soon after my having received that shot; and she'll not be able to use the normal amount of pressure on me because I could end up with serious bruising and/or be extremely sore as a result of the massage.
Turns out it was a good thing I mentioned having received that shot!  I had no idea there could be such implications from having taken it.
When I asked if I should have cancelled the appointment, she said I probably should have but how could I have known that, and since I was there she would improvise.
So she massaged me very gently, commenting all the while that my upper back and neck were like rocks; that my legs were really in distress, yada yada yada.
After the session, I went on a couple of little errands in town and then came home.
Where I tackled a few chores around the house before I sat and rested.
It felt good to feel almost normal again.
I had had a day like I used to have:  take care of a few things around the house before going for my massage; pick up some groceries; come home and putter around the house before dinner.  All in a day, just like the "old days" -- "before the nightmare" days. And there was no hint of a meltdown.  Perhaps it's over?  Finally.
John went to a meeting in town after dinner and I settled down to watch my boys play ball.
Again, I didn't make it past the third inning (hell, truth be known, I didn't make it TO the third inning).
It's not unusual for me to be very sleepy after my massage so I wasn't surprised to find myself drifting off but I was surprised at how sore my body felt -- all over.
Even as I slept, I was aware of the overall pain creeping through my body.
I kept coming to consciousness and trying to work out the pain but it wasn't happening.
And it was an odd sort of pain; I really couldn't figure it out.
My boys were winning the game but I couldn't keep my eyes open.
And the pain kept getting worse, especially in my hands.
When John got home, he of course asked how I was doing.
I told him I was in agony and he naturally panicked -- until I explained that the agony was all over pain and it must be a result of the massage.
Even though she had been gentle, it must not have been gentle enough.
Obviously, we should not have proceeded at all.  Her caution was not sufficient for my crazy body!
Then John says, "What's wrong with your hands?"
To which I say, "They're sore beyond belief but why are you asking?"
"They're quite badly swollen." he says, "Look at them."
My hands were very red and you could barely tell I had knuckles.
"Wow, no wonder they hurt so much!" said I.  "Maybe I'll try wearing my arthritis gloves to bed and see if that helps."
So off I went to dig out my arthritis gloves (they live in my purse because I wear them when I drive) and I wore them while I slept.
And it did work because this morning the swelling is gone and my hands are only marginally sore.  Although my upper back and neck feel like they could really use a massage, the overall body aches seem to have dissipated so perhaps the effects of last night were temporary.
I'll wear the gloves again today and will continue wearing them until the pain subsides completely.
So now I have another experience for my memory bank:  Do not have a massage within 24 hours of getting a steroid injection (if I ever have another one)!
And for all you readers out there:  Make very sure you disclose everything medical to everybody medical, no matter how inconsequential you might think it is!

No comments: