Friday, April 23, 2010

Busy Days Ahead

Wow, I'm facing a couple of busy days.
Gonna have to pace myself carefully.
Here it is, 6:00am and I've been awake since God knows when (not sure how long but it feels like forever, perhaps some time around 3:30am or thereabouts).
You see, my hip pain is getting worse, in spite of the wonderful athlete's taping that we've been using for the past couple of weeks.
After getting wonderful results with the first couple of applications, this last one isn't giving me the same kind of relief that I had been getting from it (of course, why should anything work repeatedly for me?).
It's possible that my therapist didn't get it positioned quite right this time -- the other times it went longer down my leg, and I believe it was positioned more forward than this is.  I'll discuss that with her on Monday because I'm definitely not getting the same benefit as I got from the two previous applications.  We'll try at least one more time, and if it doesn't work again, I guess we won't continue using it.  Which is really unfortunate because the earlier applications really helped relieve the pain of driving in particular.
Anyway, this morning I have to go to the laboratory to have that bloodwork done that the doctor wanted (two weeks from the time I started on the blood pressure meds) and I have to be fasting for  it so here I am, awake since 3:30am and I can't have even a cup of coffee for a lab that doesn't open until 7:30am!
Can my luck get any better?  I had planned to wake at 7:00am, crawl out of bed and make my way into town as the doors opened, to minimize my suffering.
Best laid plans of mice and Bonnie!
But my day will improve, honest it will.
How do I know?
Because last evening, as we were watching our politics show -- an hour during which my little chickadee knows not to telephone -- I received a phone call from my little chickadee's home.  I knew to answer because I knew it had to be my beautiful boy who was calling (he doesn't know about the prohibition on calls during that hour).
"Hi," my beautiful boy said.
"Hi, my love, how are you?" I said sweetly into the phone, as John paused our favourite politics show (there ain't nothing we won't do for that boy!).
"Fine." He's a man of few words already.
"What are you doing?" I asked.
"My homework."
"Oh, and do you need my help with something?" (It has happened, OK?)
"No, not that," he said.  "Can I sleep at your house on Friday?"
"Tomorrow?" I asked.
"Yes."
"How would you get here?" I asked him, as I mouthed to John that he wanted to come for a sleepover the following night.
"I don't know," he said very quietly.
John teasingly hollered, "It's a long walk!"
"Do you want me to come and get you after school?" I asked him.
"Yes, please."
So I explained to him that I would have to pick him up immediately after school, that he wouldn't have time to play at daycare (he always wants his Mom to pick him up at the latest possible time to allow him maximum play time with his friends at daycare).
That was fine with him, whatever I said, as long as he could come to my house for a sleep-over.
We worked out the logistics of the sleep-over and then I had him give the phone to his mother so we could finalize the plans (which we actually didn't do until after my politics show -- I do have my priorities).
John is really looking forward to this because he's been saving some shrimp to have for dinner with him (I won't eat that stuff -- but my beautiful boy will!).
So, this afternoon, at the worst possible traffic time of day, I'll drive into the big city to pick up my beautiful boy at his daycare so he can sleep at his Grandma's house tonight.  Like I said, there ain't nothin' we won't do for that boy!
His parents will make the trip tomorrow to pick him up -- I'm crazy for the boy, but ...
Tomorrow, we're having the bean supper that we had to cancel a few weeks ago when I had that unexpected meltdown.  My stepson and his wife (the one who is older than I), along with my sister-in-law and her husband, are joining us.  It will be a fun visit.  The beans will be put in the slow-cooker in the morning; the salad can be thrown together easily, and the bread will arrive with my sister-in-law.  Easy, no-hassle. Done.  Just sit down and visit.
And the boys will help John install our new mail box.
Finally.
Not that we need one, you realize. 
It's a wonder we've continued getting delivery for the past three years with the state our current mailbox is in. But I finally convinced John that it had to be replaced so he went and bought a new box last week, and all that's left to do is pull out the existing post, haul in the new post from the woods, and install the new mailbox.
At least, that's the plan! (And, of course, if they start the job on Saturday, it had better be done before Monday's mail delivery ... )

No comments: