Friday, April 2, 2010

My Dirty Little Secret

OK, folks, I'm going to reveal my dirty little secret to the world.
Today being Good Friday, I will be observing the day as I have done every year since oh, about 1982, I guess.
That's the year I bought my first VCR.
And one of the first tapes I bought was "Jesus Christ Superstar."
Yup, I love that movie.
I even have the CD and play it in my car (I wouldn't dream of subjecting others to my vice, 'cept maybe my little chickadee).
When my little chickadee was a wee thing, she would curl up with me on the sofa and we would sing along to the music.  (She won't admit it, but she knows every song, and she actually likes most of the music too.)  I believe it was last year that she caught it on television (check your guide -- it will be playing somewhere today) and she couldn't believe it when my beautiful boy was mesmerized by the scenes and music -- a boy after my own heart!
I've gone to a high school production of it and I've seen the stage production at the National Arts Centre on more than one occasion. The year it came to Ottawa (was it 1997?) with two of the performers from the original film was a most memorable experience -- worth every penny just to see Ted Neeley perform live.
There are very few movies that I'll watch a second time; but I never tire of the music in JC Superstar.
So today, as soon as John heads outside, I'll press "play."
Because I certainly won't subject him to the misery of listening to it. (I play it at quite a volume; otherwise, why bother?  And what's the point of living in the country if not to enjoy music played the way it should be heard?)

"What's the buzz...  Tell me what's happenin'...  What's the buzz...  Tell me what's happenin'..."

3 comments:

Your little chickadee said...

Ok. Let's get this straight before your readers think that I too am a crazed Jesus Christ Superstar fan....I am not. Do I like a couple of the songs? Yes, but only a couple. Am I able to sit and watch the entire movie? No! As much as I love a good musical that's not one of my faves...perhaps I was scarred by watching it so many times as a child. Good thing I have that therapist on speed dial!

Anyone know a good therapist?

C. Bonnie Fowler said...

Oh, my little chickadee, I can always count on you for a good giggle (guess that's why I love you so!).

Truth be known, nor do I actually sit and "watch" the entire movie any more, (I fast forward through those "horrid" songs; and I still can't bring myself to watch the 40 slashes scene). But you have to admit, the music that is good is fantastic!

Love you
PS Why do you need someone to recommend a good therapist if you have one on speed dial? Is yours no longer answering your calls???? tee hee

Favorite Niece! said...

I found out yesterday that shopping and spending money is very therapeutic and it goes into your closet or house not their pockets!!