Thursday, December 1, 2011

My Advent Calendar

Every year on this date, I put out an "Advent Calendar" to count down the days 'til Christmas.
I've done it ever since my little chickadee was truly a wee chickadee.
Several years ago, on a lark, as I passed through Starbucks to get to Chapters, I noticed a most intriguing Advent tree.
It was comprised of numbered drawers, arranged in a tree formation, with each drawer containing a small chocolate treat.
As the treat is claimed on each day of December, the drawer is to be turned around before it is returned to its rightful place on the tree.
And when completed, on the 24th day, a winter scene is revealed.
It was perfect!
It could be used year after year, simply by refilling the drawers each year.
I couldn't find the price on the display unit and eventually I found someone to ask.
Turned out I had found the manager.
He told me the price and asked me if I wanted to buy it.
As I hemmed and hawed, not so sure that I wanted to spend quite that much, he made me a deal I couldn't refuse.
He told me that if I bought the tree, which was the last one he had in stock, I could also take the display unit, since he would no longer have use for it.
That made the price so much more reasonable.
So I grabbed them.
One for my little chickadee.
And one for me.
And forever after, we have the same advent tree which we fill with treats to help us count down the days until Santa's arrival.

daily deals

No comments: