Sunday, December 11, 2011

My budding writer

I have to share this, it's such a creative story. From what we can tell the assignment was to write a story personifying an inanimate object, without specifically revealing what the object is.
This is what my beautiful boy wrote (no corrections made):
Life Sucks
My face is a screen, my arm is a cord and my hand is a mouse, the other is a speaker and my feet are plugs. Almost every day someone's sweaty hands are all over my buttons and my hand. Most of the day people turn my face off. Whenever some kid turns me on and they play games with people running around I feel little feet pounding my face. When I'm bored I talk to my friends: iPod, TV, DSi, Wii, laptop and Playstation but I've always wanted to know an Xbox. Playstation is obsessed with violent games, iPod thinks he's rich, laptop is so fancy, Wii is crazy about new games and DSi is obsessed with Pokémon. Every day I hear these words "time to get off now!," which I think is a woman's voice and then a kid's voice that says "awwww!!!!!" and that voice sounds like a sad boy. I know I'm not the only one probably all of you have one of me, you may even have multiples of me. There are three others of me in this house so there are four of us in total. NO! They're coming! "Homework first and then you can go on." I heard a mother say. "Okay", replied a boy. A couple of minutes later I heard this "Mom, I'm done!" said the boy. NOOOOOOO! He's back, looks like I'm getting turned on now. Bye!
Now, I don't know about you but this coming from a ten year old just blows me away.
Apparently, his teacher didn't enjoy the creative aspect of the story quite as much as we did because he didn't get the grade I thought it should earn.  (Seems he revised it as he prepared the final copy, introducing several grammatical errors, and then he failed to properly proofread it before handing it in.  Those errors lost him grade points.  He was not happy with the final mark.  Tough lesson learned!)
With time, he'll learn not to mess with a good thing.
But in my estimation, it's a fabulous first-run story.
Way to go Marcus, my man!  I hope you never lose that spark.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, and I hope one of the lessons learned is that a pompous, grumpy teacher can spoil a lot of budding talent.