Thursday, December 15, 2011

So that's a bust ...

Banking my own blood in the event I might need a transfusion during my surgery was a nice idea.
Except it isn't going to happen.
We spent an hour at the Transfusion Medicine Unit of the hospital today, they having received the results of the bloodwork that was taken on Tuesday.
My hemoglobin level is excellent (especially for a woman!).
My iron level is acceptable for non-surgical purposes but could be higher going into surgery (to help reduce the need for a transfusion).
For starters, I was assured that the likelihood of my needing a transfusion is very low (although one can never be 100% certain about these events you realize).
BUT, because I have a seizure disorder I am excluded from banking my own blood.  The very act of donating blood could bring on a seizure because they are drawing a lot of blood in a very short period of time.
The offer was made to "special request" that I be allowed to bank my blood in spite of the disorder (since it is well controlled) but I declined.
I discussed the seizures I had back in 2009 as a result of an electrolyte imbalance and the thought that the physiological impact on the body might be somewhat similar (if not more impacting).  Hence the risk for me might be a little too similar.  I don't want to go there.
So the decision was made that I will definitely not be banking my own blood.  And I was assured that should I need a transfusion, every precaution will be taken to safeguard my health and wellbeing.
As of today, in order to increase my chances of  NOT needing a transfusion, I am taking 300mg of Iron, 5 mg of Folic Acid, and 1000mg of Vitamin B12 a day.
If I'm not ready for surgery, it won't be from lack of trying ...

No comments: