Sunday, August 22, 2010

My sanctuary is gonna happen!

Yes it is -- it's gonna happen.
My little chickadee is calling my sanctuary my "grandson room" because it will double as a guest room, when necessary.  And now my beautiful boy, when he sleeps over, will be able to have "his own room," rather than having to sleep on his BYOB beside Grandma (he is getting a little old for that now).
Had a meeting with the building contractor this morning.
And it's not even gonna break the bank to build this room.
We have to jump through municipal hoops, and pay them the money they insist on grabbing because we're adding a room to the house (not to mention what it will do to the property taxes!).
But our friendly builder even has a plans drawer-upper with whom he works all the time who knows precisely what the building inspector wants and does the job for very little money.
Called him at home and John set up a meeting with him for Tuesdy afternoon -- he'll come over here, get the details of what he needs to know in order to draw up the appropriate plans in short order so that we can get the requisite permit.
We now know that the room will be 15.6' x 20' (woo hoo!) and I know where the windows will be and the size of the closet (I like the way this contractor thinks -- just the way I do!).  He offered valuable advice and is available to start immediately.  Woo hoo!
He's gonna come out tomorrow and get started on taking out the trees that need to come down for this project (that just happens to be a sideline of his -- we buy our wood from him too).
He'll call in his associate who has the necessary machinery to take out all the rocks that need to be removed (lots of them!) before the project can get started.
He won't order the trusses or the foundation material until we have the permit ... just in case!  But he is confident, given his years in the business, that there will be no problem acquiring the permit.
So he's advised me to get shopping for my flooring because I'll need it pretty soon!
I already know what colour I want the room so I can shop for the paint any time now (but I won't buy it yet, that too can wait 'til closer to the finish date).
We've decided on the windows so he'll have to order them too, once the permit is in hand.
The closet doors will be purchased a little further down the road, and we've pretty well made up our mind on the style.  It's just a matter of shopping for the most suitable ones for the job.
So, I'm closer today to having my sanctuary (grandson room) than I was on Friday but NOW I am confident that I will have it.  On Friday, I wasn't so sure.

No comments: