Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The New Math Perhaps????

How the heck does this math work?
Last August, John fell (yet again) for that darned tele-marketing scheme that convinced him that he absolutely needed to call now (he didn't have all day, after all) to order the Slap Chop (make America skinny, one slap at a time).
Our Visa was charged for the gem in September, one of the last purchases that made it through on what was then our old Visa card.
Along about late October, we received a message from what sounded like Slap Chop, saying they needed to put through a further charge on our credit card but it was declined.  Would we please call them and straighten it out?  I figured, "Yeh, sure, in your dreams, baby."  I didn't return the call.
In mid-November, we received a letter from Slap Chop telling us that they have tried to put through the additional charge but the credit card company has declined it (thank God I had changed cards in the interim!) and asking that we remit the required amount ($4.92US) to clear the account.
My response to them was pointed:
"I really paid for two items (by the time you add in the exorbitant shipping charges), but I actually received nothing (the items are not worthy).  Yet you still think I should send you an additonal $4.92 US?"
"I can return the items to you, if you wish; as long as you pay the return shipping, and you cut a cheque payable to me representing the full Canadian equivalent that was already charged to my credit card."
Imagine my surprise when, on December 16th, Slap Chop somehow managed to process a CREDIT for $8.00 US.
I know not why for (there has been no further communication from them).
Instead of our sending them $4.92US to clear the account, they have refunded $8.00US, further reducing our costs for the stupid items by $8.25 CDN.
OK by me.
And to add to the mystery, I never gave them the current Visa card information.
So presumably, if a vendor tries to put through a purchase with outdated card information, the credit card company won't authorize it; but if a vendor tries to put through a credit with outdated card information, the transaction is allowed.  Interesting indeed.
I still don't know how the math works down in Connecticut, USA though.
Wonder if that manouvre cleared the account?
John just told me that there was a message from Slap Chop some time last week.
Maybe they're trying to correct the stupid mistake they now realize they made.
Trouble is, our Visa card changed again in mid-December.
I don't think the credit card company is going to allow any more activity  on a number that is three cards old.
Perhaps we should return their next call?  Maybe they want to issue us a $12.00US credit to help clear our current balance?  We would suggest they mail us a cheque.

No comments: