Saturday, January 16, 2010

My "New" Norm, I Guess

I believe I am now settling into what will be my new norm, at least for the near future.
After only five days on the first-step reduction of Cesamet, my pain level is such that it is a supreme effort to walk from my living room to my dining room (which is no distance at all).
On Wednesday, I went into Ottawa for my physiotherapy session, after which I picked up my little chickadee and we had a nice visit that evening.
The following morning, I met my girlfriend for a leisurely breakfast before heading home around noon (we sat and talked and talked and talked some more).
On the way home, I stopped at our local grocery store to pick up a few things.
THAT WAS A MISTAKE.
Our local grocery store several years ago expanded to this ridiculous size which now makes me walk forever to get that bag of milk before making the trek back to the front of the store to pay for said bag of milk.  And now they are rearringing the store to make it more efficient for shoppers.
You know, efficient like:  "Ketchup?  Oh, that's in the baking aisle now because people use it for baking."
Huh?  So that would be why it isn't with the other condiments where I used to find it then?
Anyway, I ended up walking the store a few too many times looking for stuff that I had figured out over the years since their expansion but I apparently will have to learn all over again.
By the time I got home, I couldn't move.
I was, as I often say, exhausticated.  Completely done for.
But my problem was in my hips.  They simply wouldn't co-operate to propel my body. I could barely compel my legs to shuffle along, my hips were that sore.
Normally, after a physio treatment, I enjoy relief for at least 48 hours and this was less than 24 hours after I had left her office!
The massage tub was called into action and I let those jets pound at the highest setting this time.
Yesterday, I wore the TENs machine all day so I was able to function around here quite comfortably.  It's truly amazing how immediate the relief is with that but there appears to be no particular residual relief from it.  Once I take it off, the pain is back quite quicly, but on the days I can wear it, it sure beats taking a narcotic!
Before I went to bed, I of course used my acupen which usually gives me several hours of relief.
Still, I woke during the night from the pain.
I am scheduled to further reduce the Cesamet dosage on Monday.
I'm no longer so sure this plan was such a good idea.

No comments: