Monday, January 11, 2010

More Medication Adjustments

I saw my doctor today.
Got the results of my endoscopy/colonoscopy -- "normal."
No surprises there.
So our discussion had to revolve around what to do next because my inability to eat is becoming a more concerning issue with each passing day.
Our new approach is to go off Cesamet.
He is fairly certain that, in the absence of any other medical explanation, my appetite will return once I am off the Cesamet.
And then, I ask, what about the pain and discomfort in my gut every time I eat -- will that stop too?
Perhaps the one is associated with the other; both the pain and the loss of appetite occurred coincidentally with my starting on Cesamet.
I'm not convinced that the pain and discomfort are necessarily related to the Cesamet (I talked him into a requisition for a pelvic ultrasound to rule out another possible sinister cause).
He has given me a "bowel protocol" to follow which should help ensure that my system functions as it should (my gastrointestinal tract is still trying to recover from the effects of years of codeine medications).
The plan is to reduce Cesamet by .5mg per day starting today.
And every week, reduce it by a further .5mg per day until I am taking nothing.
I've mapped it out on the calendar.
I will take the last .5mg capsule of Cesamet on Sunday, March 7th.
I don't even want to think about how bad my pain will be by then.
We've agreed to worry about how we'll manage the pain once we determine whether or not the Cesamet is the cause of my current eating problem.
It's going to be a looooooooooooooooooong eight weeks.

1 comment:

Christine said...

Hang in there. Surely things will get figured out soon.