Monday, June 29, 2009

I'm Figuring it Out

Gradually, I'm coming to terms with how this works.
  • I have fibromyalgia, which causes generalized pain and fatigue. To alleviate that, I take Lyrica at the dosage level that we have identified that reduces the pain to almost nil and significantly eliminates the fatigue.
  • I also have bursitis in both hips. My right hip area emits heat to the touch due to the ever-present inflammation from the bursitis that has remained unsuccessfully treated for the past 30 years. To alleviate the pain in my hips, I take another pain med to a dosage that keeps me essentially pain free most of the time -- until I engage in physically demanding activity that involves the right hip joint.

Have you ever thought about what activities you engage in throughout your day that DOES NOT involve the hip joint? Think about it sometime. Or, as you go about your day, try NOT using your hips.

So, now I know why I continue to have less than stellar success with these pain meds. I expect them to relieve my pain even if I engage in day-to-day activity. Is that asking too much? I guess the answer is, because I am soooooooo much more comfortable now than I was prior to starting these new pain meds, I should accept my new status because any amount of time spent pain free is a bonus. Just a matter of mindset, I guess.

No comments: