Wednesday, June 20, 2012

That's a lifetime ago!

Yesterday, I had lunch with a cousin of mine whom I last saw on New Year's Eve 1964.
You read that right.
Nineteen SIXTY four.
That's 47 and a half years ago!
How did we figure out when last we saw each other, you ask?
She recalled that it was a New Year's Eve party at my home.  She was married with two young children at the time -- her second son had been born in April of 1964.
I was fourteen years old at the time; she was nineteen.
We didn't have much in common back then but you wouldn't have known that yesterday.
She walked into our hotel room and we started yakking like we had just seen each other last week!  I showed her a photo that had been taken at a family gathering -- it included her at approximately thirteen years old.  I was hoping she'd be able to identify some of the other children in the photo.  They must be our cousins but I don't know who they are.  She offered a few educated guesses, but neither of us could be certain.
During our almost three hour lunch, there was never a lull in the conversation.  Never an uncomfortable quiet.  The talking just went on and on.  From both of us!
Forty-seven years is a long time to be out of touch.

No comments: