Sunday, July 3, 2011

My CPAP update

So, this CPAP experiment isn't very promising, if you ask me.
On Friday night, after waking for the fourth time, I took the damned thing off at 4:30am and went back to sleep for a couple of undisturbed hours.  Woke at 6:30am feeling better refreshed than I had all week.  But on an encouraging note, when I checked the machine, there was no "high leak in last session" message.  So it would seem that I'm at least making progress.
Last night, I woke at 11:30pm and removed it because I couldn't bear the dry mouth.  When I woke at 2:00am. I thought I'd try it again, so on it went.  But at 2:30am, I was awake -- the dry mouth was worse than ever.  I turned the machine off and checked the reservoir.
Oops.  I hadn't put any water in it before retiring.
My bad!  I corrected that boo-boo, donned the mask again, turned on the unit and drifted off to sleep.
By 5:00am, I'm awake again because of dry mouth.
What in hell is it going to take?
I'm not at all sure about this experiment.  (I do seem to have resolved the leak issue, though, since again this morning, there is no error message.)
My good friend, RLR, who has been using a machine for two years now, tells me that it took her a good six weeks to adjust and start to feel better.
Well, folks, I don't have six weeks to invest in this.
I mean, in the long term, of course I have six weeks. And if I actually had sleep apnea, I might be more inclined to stick with it.  But my problem is one of snoring and we're doing this to find out if snoring is impacting on my daytime sleepiness factor.
It's just ... the timing is bad.
You see, I have a finite amount of time during which to enjoy the benefits of that steroid injection.  It's been three weeks already, and one of them has been lost to this experiment.
Should it take me another five weeks to figure out the CPAP issue, that would suggest a majority of my "heaven time" being lost.
Last year, I had twelve weeks of heaven from the steroid shot.  I may or may not get that long this time.
I'd like to enjoy all the weeks available to me, not waste the bulk of them struggling with the CPAP machine.
However, I do want to give the CPAP a fair assessment before abandoning it as not worthy.
Oh what a conundrum this presents.

No comments: