Sunday, July 10, 2011

I'm almost there

At least, I guess I'm almost there.
I've passed two consecutive nights keeping the CPAP mask on right through.
Yup.
Kept it on all night long.
Woke several times, mind you.
But I didn't remove the mask.
I persevered in spite of adversity.
On Friday night, I woke numerous times to reset the humidity level since I was still very dry mouthed and/or getting too much condensation.  Just couldn't seem to hit a happy medium.  And I didn't feel particularly rested yesterday either.  In fact, whilst I was reading my morning newspaper I was falling asleep.  Obviously, the machine has not yet impacted my daytime sleepiness score.
Last night, I again woke numerous times although I think I have the humidity level at the proper setting now.  I'm still dry mouthed, but not nearly as bad as before.  And there is only minimal condensation in the mask.
I'm sure there is not supposed to be any condensation, and one should not have dry mouth at all.  That is something the respirologist might have to address in more detail when I see him on Tuesday.  I don't know what other humidity level I can try.  If I turn the humidity any lower, I still have dry mouth and the colder air aggravates my asthma.  Can't win for trying!
At least I'm leaving the machine on all night now.  That's progress!
And today, I don't feel any worse than I did before I started with the CPAP.  That too is progress because last week the machine was definitely impacting me on the negative side.
So I would expect that each night should improve and perhaps by the time I see the rep on Tuesday, I might even be able to report that I'm feeling better.  That would be tremendous progress indeed.
Suffice to say that as things stand now, since I'm tolerating the unit all night long, I guess I'm going to continue with this experimental treatment for the rest of the month.  There is no good reason to pull the plug now that I'm not feeling and worse for wear.
Based on reports from other users, and from the experts, I have every reason to expect that I should start feeling the benefits before too much longer.
I won't find out if I don't stick with it.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Hello,

I am glad you are doing better on the machine. I have fibromyalgia but I don't have sleep apnea, well not that I know of! But my breathing is more or less ok.
I just wanted to you to know that I enjoyed your posts and that I am thinking of you. I hope you get used to the machine and that you can get a whole night sleep!

Best wishes,

Ruth