Saturday, July 23, 2011

Feeling better yet?

This APAP therapy would seem to be working, I guess.
I'm certainly getting a lot more sleep than I ever have.  So "better rested" should start to kick in any time now.
Actually, truth be known, the "better rested" must already be registering with my brain because I'm only nodding off once during the day now -- usually about mid-day.  The first of several nod-offs used to start early morning while I was reading the newspaper.  That's progress, isn't it?
My AHI is just under five (4.5 - 4.9) each morning so I'm still having episodes but not as many as before I started the therapy.  (And the improvement isn't as dramatic as it was in the first week with this newer machine, when my average AHI was 3.9.)
Every morning, John asks me if I'm feeling any better yet.
I don't know how to answer that.
I'm stilll aware of the frequent awakenings.  The biggest difference is that I simply go back to sleep immediately -- the awakenings don't disturb me now by keeping me awake for any length of time.
And I NO LONGER GET UP TO GO PEE.  That is huge as far as I'm concerned.
So, I guess I should be responding that I am feeling "better."
But I'm still waiting for the day I awake and actually feel better.
You know, like a normal person. 
Like I want to get up and go.
Now, I might be expecting too much, being fibromyalgic and all.
Perhaps I have to put it all into perspective.
Do I feel better than I used to, before I started using the machine?
Absolutely.
Do I feel as good as a person should in the morning?  Fully rested?  Ready to conquer a full day of activity?
Nooooooooooooooo.
Why not?
Because I'm fibromyalgic (with bad hips) and I might not EVER feel that good.
Plus, of course, we have this stupid heat wave that is impacting on us.  And if I compare my response to last summer's heat wave to this one -- yes, I feel MUCH better.  At least I'm coping much better with this round of high temperatures.  I'm not having the night time asthmatic episodes that I had last summer.  And those attacks were directly attributable to the heat wave.
So the machine is having a positive effect all around.
Yes, I guess I'm feeling better, all things considered, thank you very much.

No comments: