Saturday, April 16, 2011

This 'n that

I saw my doctor on Thursday morning.
The visit was more for me to update him on my status vis-a-vis my visit with the ortho surgeon than it was for any true medical "problem," (other than to discuss my ongoing pain management issue).
He had nothing to add to the discussion about anterior vs lateral vs posterior approach for the hip replacement surgery.  But he respects my physiotherapist's assessment of the overall situation and he certainly can understand the concern about the lateral approach.  So he agreed that, since the surgeon wanted a second opinion, that opinion should rightfully be sought from a surgeon who uses the anterior approach.
When I reported to him that I had suffered an eight-day fibro flare-up as a result of my three-day trip to Toronto, he reminded me of the need to "pace" myself (I have fibro, you know).
Really?  If I pace myself any slower, I'll be stopped altogether!
Anyway, he was more intrigued to learn that I'm a "baseball-aholic" -- the image of me at a baseball game decked out in my jersey and ball cap caused quite the giggle fit.
He did offer the opinion that based on the flare-up I experienced from having taken that trip, he felt he could safely hazard that my recovery from hip replacement surgery could be delayed by as much as three to six weeks.  I simply won't have the ability to engage in the required rehab immediately following the surgery. 
He assured me that the physiotherapists would be sympathetic to that set-back and would develop an appropriate program for me.  They will have to go very slowly with me, and they will know that.  I sure hope he knows of what he speaks on that one because I won't have the energy to fight with them!
Following that appointment, I had a very enjoyable breakfast with my good friend RLR before heading home, where I spent the rest of the day "pacing" myself.
Yesterday, I spent a quiet morning, although I did manage to walk for six minutes before the pain in my groin necessitated my stopping that activity.  Then I went to meet my Angel for lunch and had another very enjoyable outing with her before again coming home and spending the rest of the day pacing myself (I'm learning).
So I've actually had a very full week.  In the space of four days, I've seen three doctors and my physiotherapist; I've visited MLC, Pauple and MBB; I took MBB for his breakfast with Grandma; I had breakfast with RLR; and I had lunch with my Angel.
And today, my massage therapist is coming to me.  She'll work out all the knots quite nicely, and then I'll spend the rest of the day lolling about the house, because massage always leaves me wanting to sleep -- so that's usually what I do.
I'm pacing myself, really I am.

No comments: