Monday, August 22, 2011

The ecstasy and the agony ...

You know what's wrong with having a passion that involves long hours of sitting?
It wreaks havoc with bad hips.
And my genealogical digging just happens to require long hours of poring over documents, sometimes rarely  providing a single golden nugget of success.  But in the past while, I've found too many nuggets to mention here individually.
Oh yeh, I've had a tremendously successful ten days.  None as successful as last Friday though, when I discovered that my grandfather had another brother -- my granduncle Michael.
Because of my very unco-operative hips though, I tend to work in spurts -- computer; housework; rest; computer; exercise; rest; computer... .  You get the idea.
Yet, in spite of being careful to "pace myself," my hips scream.
Of course, it hasn't helped that this past weekend also involved an unusual amount of extra sitting time too.
On Friday, we had dinner guests so we naturally sat around chatting that evening.
On Saturday, we drove up the valley to visit one of John's cousins.  That involved a one hour car trip, followed by several hours of sitting around (but a delightful visit it was!) and then the one hour trip home.
Suffice to say, by yesterday by hips weren't working at all!
And I didn't help the situation much by still being drawn to the computer to continue with my research.  (That "free trial" expires on Tuesday and I want to get everything I can from it.)
So here I sit today, having slept fitfully last night, wanting so desperately to get on with this research project.  But my hips are burning oh so badly.
Methinks it will be much slower going today.
And tomorrow, the last day of that free trial, is physio day -- so there definitely won't be much researching going on.
Sigh.
I don't even want to think about the hours I still need to put in at the computer to process the many documents I've downloaded in the past ten days!
Double sigh.

No comments: