Friday, December 18, 2009

A-OK

Well, the anaesthetist was a sweetheart.
He listened to my concerns about being sedated.
He didn't ridicule me.
He explained why we wouldn't have the same problems today that I've run into in the past.
He accepted my word for my history, without in any way giving me the sense that I was "not of the medical profession, " so had no idea of what I spoke (that is the usual response I seem to receive from doctors).
And because of my history, he chose to approach my sedation a little differently.
And he stood by, monitoring me, and we talked.  I asked why, if this was what it was like, I would have no memory of it.  Everyone I know who has had this done does not recall the procedure or most of the rest of the day.  That's when he told me that I would remember it.  He explained that because of my history, he was only giving me as much drug as I needed to allow the doctor to do what he was doing.  And he was only adjusting it if and when I cramped.  So I was really getting very little sedation.
I was getting NO sedation in my view, just relaxation.
I even asked for my glasses so I could see what was happening.
And the doctor explained what I was seeing as he was probing through my body.
It was a very informative visit.
When it was over, I was wheeled into recovery, wide eyed and almost sitting up, ready to go!
Two other people, whose procedures had been completed before mine, were out cold.
And when I did finally leave, those two persons were still lying there but one of them had at least wakened up.
So I have to wonder why anyone has full sedation for this procedure -- do they not understand that sedation of any kind is a risk?
The doctor explained that he found everything to be "normal" but he took a biopsy to test for some very rare conditions, just in case (he was in there, why not?).
My doctor should have the report by next week, which recommends that he might want to request a CT scan to further investigate other possibilities for my inability to eat.  I'll get the holiday season behind me and see him in mid-January to discuss where we go from here.
But, this past week from hell is over and now I can turn my attention back to things that matter.

No comments: