Tuesday, December 29, 2009

My New Coffeemaker (and why I needed one)

I am a coffee-aholic (in the morning).
One might say, I like my coffee (in the morning).
The qualifier is being added because I don't much care for coffee once the clock strikes noon; never have.
Not sure why that quirk, but all my working life I would look for coffee all morning.  But once lunch hit, I had no desire for coffee, turning my interest to tea or a cold beverage (but never water -- that is a more recent consumptive habit).
Anyway, back to the topic of this post.
For the past several years, I had a Tim Hortons coffeemaker:  I wanted my coffee ready now when I got up in the morning and that coffeemaker sure fit the bill.  It held hot water in reserve, always ready to instantly brew a pot on demand.  Two minutes after turning on the switch, my coffee was ready (there was a timer feature but why? when it only took two minutes to brew a pot?)
Then some time in October my Tim Horton coffeemaker broke.  I don't recall how it broke and that really has little bearing on this story except for the fact that it put me in the market for a new coffeemaker.
And that has every bearing on this story.
You see, I like to have coffee in bed while I read my morning newspapers (doesn't everyone?)
The routine we had developed in this household was that I would crawl out of bed to make my bathroom stop, during which trip I would start the coffee and get the kettle going for John's tea.  John would get up and make the trek down the lane to collect the newspapers (yes, through the rain, the sleet, the snow -- if papers are delivered, John collects them for me).
John would then bring me my newspapers along with my first cup of coffee and he would head downstairs to check his e-mail (he has his priorities).
He would be very good about coming up periodically to see if I needed a refill for my coffee (although sometimes the service was a tad wanting).
So you see, when it became time to replace the coffeemaker, it occurred to me that if I had one that was a thermos, I could just take the POT to my nightstand and John wouldn't have to worry about having to provide that refill service.
I guess Santa thought that was a very good idea because he brought me a Hamilton Beach Stay or Go Thermal Coffeemaker.
So there's another job John lost in 2009 -- I'm thinking he's not sorry to see it go.
(Don't worry, I wasn't without coffee between the time the Tim Horton brewer broke and Santa delivered the thermal version.  I have a few "travel" brewers left over from my working days.  When we disbanded our offices, the coffeemakers came home with me.  One of them was called into service but has now been returned to its rightful storage place in the pantry.)

No comments: