Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Argh the stress of it all!

So, I finally got that call from the hospital.
Nancy was very pleasant as she advised me what I need to do on September 12th, for my 1:15 pm appointment at the pre-admitting department.
  • Go to Admitting to sign forms (re Insurance etc)
  • Then go to Pre-Admitting.  Bring Health Card and Green Hospital Card as well as any medications I'm taking -- in original prescription bottles.  (Yeh right, I always bring my very detailed list of meds and they love it!)
  • No fasting is required for the appointment (Phew!)
  • If I have questions, prepare them in advance.  (Oh, you bet I'll be ready with my questions!)
Would I want the TV and phone connected?  Yes
I will be asked for a credit card # to secure payment.  Of course.
What type of room did I want for my stay?  Private room please (I'll pay extra!)  
A discussion ensued about it being "a cold day in hell" before I'd actually get a private room and Nancy suggested that sometimes it actually happens.  (That has not been my experience.)  She did have to warn me tough that rooms are now "mixed," meaning I could end up with a member of the opposite sex.  I asked her to please indicate that if there was any way to avoid that, please do.  After my experience in the "Apnea Room" following my tummy tuck, I really don't want to be in a room with a man!  Nothing against men, I just don't want to share my room with a strange one.  Or, not any stranger than my husband anyway.  Nancy recorded my preference.  I have no idea if it will be respected.
Was it OK for switchboard to give information to callers, should there be any?  Yes, only those who know me will be calling.   (Now, here's a hint folks.  If you do call, you must ask for me by my legal first name!  This is the health care world you know.)
The hospital will call me the day before the surgery to let me know what time my surgery is scheduled (I have to arrive at hospital two hours before the scheduled time).
Then I asked if I'm allowed to request the first surgery of the day.  "That's up to the surgeon," Nancy told me.  "Did I have his number?"  (Yes, and I have already left a message there with respect to the same matter.)
Nancy then gave me her number if I had any further questions about the process, and she wished me luck with my surgery.
Very nice lady indeed.
Later, Samantha from my surgeon's office returned my call.
While the surgeon has some say in the order of his surgeries, it is actually the OR that does the scheduling.  My surgeon prefers his longer surgeries be scheduled first and it just happens that there is a revision surgery slotted for the same date as my surgery.  Revisions take longer than replacements.  Hence, Dr. Kim would prefer that it be performed first.  That would put my best hope as second surgery which is at 10:00 am.
Samantha said she would speak to Dr. Kim on my behalf.  (Please do.  Tell him I'm a very nice lady.  I just have a really hard time going without my coffee in the morning!  Food I can manage, but coffee?)  She feels my pain.
While she can't make any promises, she will speak to him.
So, it would seem the stars are not aligning very well for me this time.
  • I may or may not get first surgery on the 22nd.
  • I may or may not get a private room.
  • If I don't get a private room, my roommate may or may not be a woman.
*Sigh*
I love the uncertainty of it all.  (Not!  Do they not realize I'm a details person?)
I think our health care system has evolved into one of total lack of concern for the patient's comfort and well-being.
It's all about the bottom line.
And motivating the patient to get the hell out of Dodge as soon as possible!

No comments: