Sunday, August 24, 2014

Such a homebody I am

Am I really the only person in the world who doesn't have "travel" on her bucket list?
I mean, seriously, I simply don't have any interest in travelling.
Anywhere.
My daughter recently took a mini vacation to St. John's, Newfoundland.
She took some fabulous pictures and posted them on Facebook.
Comment after comment referred to the locale as being on their bucket list, or they had been there and the photos made them want to go back real soon.
When I look at the photos, I see the beauty of the place for sure.
But there is no stirring within me to visit the place.
There's one shot I'd love to have enlarged and framed because it's the kind of photo that appeals to me.

A couple of the images would make fabulous jigsaw puzzles.

And time after time, when someone shows me their travel photos, that's what I see:  potential jigsaw puzzles!
But in all my 64 years, I have never experienced that burning need to travel.  In fact, I can recall being absolutely bored to tears when people showed me their travel photos.  (I can still experience that response.)
As a result of my employment, I've seen Canada's west coast -- as west as Vancouver. (I've toured BC's southern interior and portions of Alberta by car.  I've also seen the route by train -- Rocky Mountaineer Rail Tour -- now that's an experience that should be on everyone's bucket list!)
I've also seen Canada's east coast -- as east as Prince Edward Island.  (I've done Quebec and the Atlantic provinces, excluding Newfoundland, by car.)
I've not touched down in Saskatchewan or Manitoba.  And I've not visited the far North.
I live in Ontario and while I've never seen the northern parts of this beautiful province, I have driven the southern portions numerous times.
I've been into the United States but not very far from the border.  Seen Maine, Vermont, and northern parts of New York State.  That's about it.
And truly, I don't feel cheated by any measure.
To me, travel is more stress than relaxation.  Just not worth it.
I know, I know, some people really thrive on travel.  As soon as they return from one trip, they are itching for the next.
But me?  If I must travel, I have a three-day limit before I'm itching to get home again.  And I truly have no desire to get on the road again once I am home.
Guess I'm the epitome of a homebody.

No comments: