Sunday, June 26, 2011

Two weeks and counting

This past Thursday (June 23rd) was the two-week mark since I received that steroid injection in my left hip.
And I continue to enjoy its benefits.
What really amazes me is my ability to have had an extremely busy week without inducing a fibro flare-up.
Now THAT's significant!
Last week, I went into the big city on Saturday; I did the same thing on Sunday; I baked all day on Monday; another trip into the big city on Tuesday; OK, I rested on Wednesday; back into the big city on Thursday; and rested again on Friday.
But prior to having had that injection, a week like that would have guaranteed a flare-up, no questions asked.
And here we are, it's Sunday, and I've had a busy week-end in that my step-son is visiting so I've spent a tad more time in the kitchen than I might otherwise, and still no flare-up.
John had surmised that my frequent flare-ups might have been more a result of the hip pain than the actual fibro, and I guess he was right.
My physiotherapist hopes he's right because it would mean that once my hip is replaced, I might be able to look forward to living like a natural person without having to deal with a fibro flare-up every time we partake of a social event.  Now that's something to which we will look forward!
I'm still managing to put in fifteen minutes on the stationary bicycle every day (well almost every day).  But I've found that I have to do the bike in the morning, when my energy level is at its highest.  If I leave it to later in the day, I have great difficulty getting to that fifteen minute mark.
I am soooooooooooo enjoying being able to rise from a sitting position and just walk away without my left leg buckling under.
To walk without pain.
To sleep without pain.
To change positions in bed easily.
The other day, at my little chickadee's place, Pauple noticed how well I was walking and he commented on it.  He couldn't believe that steroids make that much of a difference.
So he wondered why I went around in so much pain for the past ten years.
That, folks, is the 60 million dollar question.
Why, indeed?

No comments: