Sunday, February 27, 2011

Oh dear, I overdid it again.

Really, you'd think I'd learn.
My physiotherapist even warned me too.
But do I listen?
Oh no, not moi!
I'd been having such success with the TENs machine (no reaction to the electrodes) and was tolerating the bike so well, that yesterday I left the TENs unit on for most of the day whilst I sat in front of the computer finalizing our income taxes.
Took care of that little project, and a few others, making sure I took frequent breaks to stretch and do all the required stuff in order not to stress my body too much.
And after dinner, before retiring with a dose of the valerian tincture, I hopped on the stationary bike.
Pedalled for four minutes, with little effort.
Now, the only reason I stopped at four minutes was because I could hear my physiotherapist cautioning me not to overdo it.  So, having done three and a half minutes the day before, I figured I'd better not push it.
Yeh, well, I guess I should have gotten off that damned bike at the three and half minute mark.
Because, in spite of having taken that valerian tincture on my way to bed last night, each time I woke to change positions, I was acutely aware of how much sorer I was than normal (although I had no difficulty going right back to sleep, thanks to the tincture, I'm sure).
And when I got up for the day today, my hips were letting me know that they were not at all happy.
Same old, same old.
I'm paying the price for having done too much, too soon.
Needless to say, today is a day of imposed rest and relaxation, whether I like it or not.
And, to add insult to injury, I have a rash from the TENs electrodes -- but only on the front contact spots, ever so slightly on one back contact spot, and not at all on the other back contact spot.  Go figure -- part of me is allergic, but not all of me?
So here we go again.
Now I have to lay off the TENs machine until the allergic reaction calms down.  And when I start using it again, I'll have to limit my time to less than six hours (that should be doable, as long as I remember to remove it).  Why do I leave it on so long, you might ask?  Because I don't get any residual benefit from it.  It only provides relief while I'm wearing it, but the relief is profound!  It beats taking pills and frankly, I think it works better than any pills I've tried so far.
I'm starting to become increasingly anxious to see that surgeon -- I might just beg him to expedite my surgery, given the success stories I'm hearing from people who know people who have had a hip replaced.

No comments: