Friday, February 18, 2011

Trying to get a good night's sleep

Gosh, it would be nice to be able to sleep through the night.
My body so needs a good night's rest.
But my hips simply won't allow that to happen.
I naturally sleep on my left side.
So that is my "going to sleep" position (with the requisite pillow between my knees, of course).
When I waken, usually at the two-hour mark -- never more than two and half hours later -- my left hip is burning in pain.
I switch sides.  But that manouever, as I've related many times, requires that I sit up, reposition my body, then lie down on the opposite side (positioning the pillow between my knees again).
When next I waken, at about the two-hour mark -- again, never more than two and a half hours later -- both hips are burning in pain (the left hip hasn't yet calmed down).
I roll onto my back.
The effort of relocating my legs causes excruciating pain in both hips.
I have great difficulty going to sleep on my back and only do so in the most exceptional of circumstances.  Most times, I end up getting out of bed, often staying up for the day at this point during the night (actually, early morning).
On Wednesday night, I went out to the sofa (which is a recliner at each end) and got myself set up to go back to sleep there.  Normally, I can drift off in that position because it forces me to stay on my back.  Problem is, my neck objects to it and this time, when I woke some two hours later, I had a headache as a result of the tightness in my neck.
Can't win for trying in this game.
Fortunately, I had massage therapy on Thursday.  She found my analogy very interesting when I told her that my legs "weren't listening to my brain."  That's how I describe the sensation when my hips are as sore as they were yesterday, making it particularly difficult to walk.  She was able to work out the knots very nicely.
I'm a little better rested this morning because I always sleep best on the nights I've had a massage.  I still wake frequently, but for some reason, I never seem to have any problem going right back to sleep.
Perhaps the answer is more frequent massage sessions.
Like, every day.
Yeh, right, like that's gonna happen!

6 comments:

Christine said...

why not increase to twice a week and see if that helps? Anything for a decent night's sleep

C. Bonnie Fowler said...

In a perfect world, that would be a terrific idea. Except, my physiotherapist sees clients on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays -- the same days my massage therapists takes clients. Soooooo, I have physio on Tuesdays, and massage on Thursdays. Finding other therapists is out of the question -- once you find good ones with whom you have a relationship, "don't fix what ain't broke."
Truth of the matter is, Christine, I couldn't afford more frequent massage sessions. My insurance runs out with my January treatments, then I'm out of pocket for the rest of the year. But I take the financial hit because they are so beneficial.
PS I'll give John your message for his misused words list.

Christine said...

I hear what you're saying about the cost. My insurance usually runs out by the end of March depending on how tight my muscles are. After that we just have to pay ourselves and it can sure get expensive. I'm doing a bit more yoga this winter and that seems to be helping. Would that help you at all?

C. Bonnie Fowler said...

Yoga -- many years ago when I tried it, I couldn't handle the sitting positions and stances it required. Don't know if it would help or hinder now. I'll check with my step-daughter -- she's a big user (if not an instructor by now).

Christine said...

Perhaps if you tried a class for people with diabilities or chronic pain. They would be able to help you modify the poses for you.

C. Bonnie Fowler said...

Good idea -- I'll investigate classes in this area. Obviously, if I have to drive to Ottawa for it, that would defeat the purpose. I know there are classes around here, just don't know if they are targetted for disabilities and/or chronic pain. But I will check it out (and they have to be daytime classes -- I don't do evenings).