Friday, February 4, 2011

Yes, I'm still here

It's been a terribly busy week.
Let's see now, I'll try to remember what's kept me from posting.
Monday
I have no idea, now -- this being Friday and all -- what used up that day.  But usually, my time is taken with household chores and computer tasks.
It seems that everything takes me so much longer now than it used to, and before I know it, my day is over.
Keep in mind that our days end in this household at 4:00pm when John and I stop "working" and spend time together (drinky-poo time) before our favourite political show comes on television.  And of course, once supper is behind us, my day is really over!
Tuesday
Tuesday is physio day so that means I had to make the round trip into the big city which always takes a toll on me, although the benefit of the treatment far outweighs that toll.
Just the fact that I have to shower and do my hair uses up a lot of my energy on the days that I have appointments but I usually manage to take care of a few things around here before I leave the house.
On this outing, I also had to stop at the hearing aid place to pick up John's repaired aid and leave his other to be repaired.
And, as usual, I had to stop for groceries on my way home.
Once I got home, it was very close to our "drinky-poo" time and before I knew it, my day was over.
Wednesday
Another free day at home.  Weather conditions actually gave us a snow day so we would have been home whether we had intended to be or not, as it turns out.
I spent the morning catching up on correspondence and doing the bookkeeping that hadn't been done for several days.
My afternoon was occupied with watching television.  That's what I tend to do when I'm up and down the stairs doing laundry.
But I felt guilty for doing "nothing" so I exercised.
Not vigourously, but I exercised.
Physiotherapist says I gotta do it.
So I did it.
And that night, I slept very poorly.
My hips were not very happy with me for having engaged in the extra physical activity that day (something I always do in the 24 hours following physio).
Thursday
Massage day.
I was supposed to take my car to the garage for an oil change but I called and postponed because I woke up feeling oh so tired and I just couldn't face the half-hour drive there and back.
My hips had been giving me fits all night, not letting me get comfortable at all.
So I opted out of the oil change and decided to just go for my massage therapy.
But while having breakfast, I had a bit of an "aha" moment, as Oprah calls them.
I've begun to notice the pattern.
Following my Tuesday physio session, I always feel remarkably better and because I can, I do.
And I do too much.
I know I do, because it's been my curse since forever.
So by Wednesday evening, I've had the biscuit from being too physical, from having done too much.
Wednesday night is always my worst night in the week.
Then I go for my massage therapy, from which I am only now noticing the cumulative therapeutic benefit of the weekly sessions, and she fixes me up again.
When I return from massage, I never "do" anything.  That is absolutely, guaranteed veg time.  I need to secure the benefits of the session.
And I always sleep the best sleep ever on the night that I've had a massage.
Just as I did last night.
I went to bed at 10:00pm and I actually slept straight through 'til 5:00am.
That's seven hours folks.
I did it.
I slept seven consecutive hours, without even waking up to pee!
I think I'm going out to buy a lottery ticket!
Today, Friday
John and I both have to go for bloodwork so we're doing that this morning, after which we'll stop and have breakfast (John has had to fast since last evening; I at least have been able to have my morning coffee).
Then we'll come home and I will take another slow day to ensure that my body gets maximum benefit from yesterday's massage therapy.
Gosh, it would be nice to just be able to run around and do things every day like normal people do.  But I have to be so careful about my schedule.
For instance, we received an invitation to dinner for Sunday of this coming weekend.  I had to beg off because it would have meant a drive into the city on Sunday and we have to go into the city on Monday for my hip assessment, and then I have to go into the city on Tuesday for my physiotherapy (I also have a dental appointment that day).  I simply cannot do three consecutive days of trips into the city -- I would absolutely be inviting a major fibro flare-up which would surely bring on a mental melt-down.
Planning our social lives is becoming a very fine balancing act, but we're slowing getting the hang of it.
Hopefully, I'll soon come to mental terms with these fibro-imposed restrictions -- because I'm certainly not liking what it all means.

No comments: