Sunday, October 12, 2014

My recovery is going very well

I cannot believe how well this recovery is going compared to the left hip experience.
At this point with the left hip, I was still very much dependent on the walker for ambulation.
Not this time.
Although the physiotherapist insists that I must use the walker until she tells me I don't need it any longer, I don't actually need the walker around the house at all.   This house is small enough that there are many objects to grab for balance, should I need to do so.  But truth be known, my balance and stability are remarkable.
I will follow my physiotherapist's advice because I know that she knows of what she speaks.  And I don't want to do damage.
We went to Walmart the other day, and John made me agree to use the ride-cart (or I had to agree to sit in the truck while he went in a got what we needed).  John's point was he didn't want me doing that much walking and I have to agree that it would have fatigued me.  So for the first time in my life, I rode in one of those carts and it was downright scary until I got the hang of it.
Fatigue continues to be an issue if I walk too much.
Yesterday, we went to the grocery store and I insisted on walking.  We didn't need much.  Well, by the time we got to the cash, I had walked plenty enough thank you very much!  I was some glad to get home and put ice on my hip.
The exercises I have to do cause me a bit of difficulty because it seems they buggered up my knee during the surgery.  I know, I know, my knee was already bad before the surgery.  But it wasn't this bad.  The physiotherapist says she has to address the knee issue before she can tackle the hip rehab.  So she has me taped up and I have to take my brace to her so she can assess whether I should be using it to help with the hip.  
When they replaced my left hip, they "broke" my SI joint -- a problem that persists to this day.  Now, they replaced my right hip and they "broke" my knee.  Such are the consequences of joint replacement!
In any event, my recovery is going very well and for that I am extremely grateful.

No comments: