Saturday, June 7, 2014

70th Anniversary of D-Day

Yesterday world leaders, veterans and civilians gathered in Normandy to commemorate the 70th anniversary of D-Day, the military offensive that changed the course of the Second World War.
I want to pay homage to my family members who participated in that War.

Percy E. Gibson was an uncle whom I never knew, but I recall hearing his name often.

  His widow, Mary Gibson, was my mother's eldest sister (my Aunt Mamie).


Percy Edward Gibson
1913-1944




My maternal grandfather, Samuel Sharpe (1896-1964), had served in WWI (photo taken 1915) and loved it so much he re-enlisted for WWII (photo taken 1941).  


And my father, Richard Romeo Cherryholme, (1926-1979), served as a rear gunner in WWII.
My father is seated, second from left.

No comments: