Monday, September 2, 2013

How long does it take?

Today marks two weeks that I've been taking Celebrex.
Still no "benefit" being felt on this end.
Shoulders are still terribly painful if I raise my arms above my head for more than 30 seconds. They also hurt way too much with chopping and stirring motion.
Hips are still a problem after walking a mere ten minutes.
My hands are swollen and sore every morning, almost more so than they were before I started taking the damned drug.
And now I can add to the mix a marked increase in my leg cramps.  Oh such fun!
Last week I saw that first allergist (the one who wouldn't try the aspirin desensitization in his office so he referred me to the second guy who put me on the Celebrex).  Turns out it's a good thing the first guy wanted to see me again.  He was astounded on hearing my report.  I'm not desensitized to aspirin, as was requested.  I can now safely take the Cox-2 family of anti-inflammatories (of which Celebrex is one).  But I absolutely cannot take aspirin or other anti-inflammatories any more than I could before.  Since the second guy achieved what my doctor wanted (to allow me to take Celebrex for my arthritis), we decided to leave things as they are and not pursue further desensitization.
My family doctor said it could take up to two weeks before the benefit is felt.
The allergist (the first one) said it could take from four to eight weeks! (The second allergist didn't offer a timeline.)
On-line reports give a range of immediate relief (it's often used post-surgery) to two weeks.  
So when exactly might I start to see some benefit from this treatment, I wonder?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sorry you're not feeling any relief yet. Hopefully you'll be able to go pain free soon.

Gentle Hugs,
Bonnie

C. Bonnie Fowler said...

Thanks Bonnie. I'm hoping its benefits will kick in soon.

Astrid said...

I don't have arthitis and hav enever taken this medication. Besides, if I had, my personal experience would only add up to the confusion. I'm sorry you're sitll not experiencing any relief. I really do hope you feel better soon.

C. Bonnie Fowler said...

Thanks Astrid
I saw my doctor today and we're trying a slightly different approach. I'll blog about it tomorrow.