Friday, May 31, 2013

This heat and my weight loss (or gain?)

So, earlier this week I hit the 10 pound weight loss mark.
I was so proud of  myself.
Fully a week ahead of schedule!
Then yesterday happened.
Ooops.
Up two pounds.
What the heck is going on?
I realize that, as a woman, my weight will fluctuate from one day to the next, but by two pounds?
Then it hit me.
It's been hot as hades around here of late. Humidity has to be up over 100%.
The nights have been unbearably hot.  And when that happens, I suffer.  Big time.
So perhaps, in spite of all the excessive sweating I'm doing, I'm also retaining water -- hence the weight gain?
I ran the idea by my little chickadee and she thought that one should weigh less if one is sweating more.  Sounds good.  But what about all the excess fluid one retains in high humidity -- how else do you explain the swelling?
So I googled it.  And very quickly found two references that explained the phenomenon.  Without going into all the scientific explanation that was provided, here's the bottom line:
"The net effect is an increase in both the blood volume and total body water content.  This effect becomes especially pronounced during the summertime, when body weight will jump up several pounds due to increased water content."
So there you have it.
My weight is higher due to this damned weather.
That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it!

No comments: