Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Trying to lose weight

Sorry for the lack of posts in the past week.
I just don't know where the time goes any more.
Haven't been spending much time on the computer.
I've become almost obsessed with losing weight so I'm "studying" how to go about doing just that.  Had a meeting with a nurse last Thursday morning and am now enrolled in the local "Healthy Lifestyle Program" which requires that I attend seven 90-minute sessions starting Tuesday, April 23rd.
Another chunk of time taken out of my life!  But it should be worth it as it is a program designed to help establish a healthy lifestyle (hence its name).
It didn't take the nurse long to recognize that our challenge will be not to cut my food intake but to establish the habit of eating three meals and two snacks every day.  I am in the habit of eating breakfast, then eating  dinner.  I simply don't get hungry so I don't eat, being a believer of only eating when hungry.  She told me I have to change that mindset.
Since our meeting, I'm happy to report that I have managed to meet that challenge every day thus far.
The other challenge she presented me with is to eat within 90 minutes of waking every day (she extended the 60 minute norm in the hopes of my meeting the challenge).  Our routine is to wake some time between 4:30 am and 6:00 am, have coffee while we read the newspaper(s), and breakfast often doesn't happen until sometime around 10:00 am.  She said that has to change.  I must eat something within the hour of waking (in my case, she'll give me 90 minutes).
Again, since our meeting, I'm happy to report that I have actually exceeded her challenge.  I'm eating something within 30 minutes of waking (if I must eat, it may as well be with that first cup of coffee!).
So when I report for the first meeting next Tuesday, she should be mightily impressed with my progress.
Who knows, perhaps I will have dropped a few pounds by then too!

No comments: