Thursday, January 6, 2011

The importance of following up ...

Oh dear, where would we be if we didn't follow up on others' responsibilities?
Back in November, I had called the hospital to inquire whether they had ever received my doctor's referral for my steroid injection in my left hip (I was anxious).  At that time, I was "in the queue but not yet scheduled," meaning I would receive a call in due course.
So, I continued waiting, secure in the knowledge that the call would come, probably soon.
In early December, my doctor did the paperwork to refer me to an orthopaedic surgeon about my drasted hips.
I have had a scheduled January 13th appointment with my doctor for several months now (I essentially see him every six weeks).
A good friend who is also a patient of the same doctor, just happened to be aware of the fact that our doctor would be away on the 13th.
So, I called my doctor's office to confirm my appointment, or lack thereof.
"Yes, he's away that week, we were going to call you and reschedule that," says the voice on the other end of the phone.
I have no pressing need to see my doctor just now so I rescheduled six weeks hence.
Then I called the hospital again to find out why I hadn't yet received that call about my steroid injection.
"We have no September requisition," says the voice.  (Not sure how I could have been in the queue in November but now they don't have the request?)
Back to the doctor's office I go.
"That was definitely faxed on September 10th," she says, "but I will certainly fax it again since it sounds like they've lost it."
"I'd appreciate that," I said, "but could you also check to see if the referral to the ortho surgeon was ever made?  That was supposed to have happened back in early December."
"OK, I don't see it here.  I'll have to check your file.  I'll call you back."
The call back two hours later informed me that the referral never happened, "but would be sent immediately."
So here I sit, my hips have been giving me increasing trouble, making every movement a herculean effort, and I may or may not get that steroid injection soon.
The hospital assured me they would put me at the front of the queue in light of the circumstances so I should get that call before too much longer, I hope. 
I have no idea how much longer it will be before I hear from the surgeon's office, since my referral will only have been received by them as of yesterday.
It is all so distressing.
Had I not asked the question, that referral might never have happened.
Now I have to go chase some blinds that were ordered in November, charged to my Visa within days of the order being placed, presumably shipped on 23 December, but haven't yet arrived here.
If I don't get them soon, I might find out that I can live quite nicely without window coverings in my sanctuary.

No comments: