Friday, January 7, 2011

Bizarre episode again last night

I almost "drowned" again last night.
It was bizarre, to say the least.
Regular followers of this blog might recall my post of 17 August 2010, The most bizarre experience ever, in which I discussed the sensation of having been drowning the night before.
Well, the same thing happened last night.
I had gone to bed around 9:00pm and sat up reading for a bit.
Then I settled down to go to sleep.
But once I was flat, and just as I was drifting off, I was forced upright as fluid rushed from my nose and I was coughing and sputtering and trying to catch my breath.
I had been drowning!
It took a while to recover and I eventually settled down to go back to sleep.
But each time, just as I was losing consciousness, I was bolt upright again, coughing and sputtering and struggling to get my breath.  The amount of liquid that flowed from my nose decreased with each episode.
My darling husband slept, undisturbed, throughout (he told me this morning that he was aware of something going on ... Bless his soul.).
After about an hour and a half of this repeated nonsense, I added an extra pillow to help elevate my head to see if that would put a stop to whatever was happening.
It must have worked because the next thing I knew, it was several hours later and there had been no further drowning incidents.
I'll be damned if I can figure out what causes this phenomenon, and when I discussed it with my doctor last summer, he didn't seem to have any ideas (other than to suggest that I was "made on a Monday").  He did, however, explain that it was suggestive of my breathing being hampered (by what, we know not) and commented that it's a good thing I waken when it happens.
I'm assuming that if I didn't waken, I would in fact drown!

No comments: