Thursday, December 23, 2010

Where do I start?

OK, I've been remiss again and I apologize -- big time!
Since I last posted, I've been kind of busy.
Let's see now.
On Sunday, I did not much of anything -- 'cept fritter away my day on my very favourite pasttime (what I call "looking for my dead people" -- genealogy research) .
On Monday, I again did not much of anything.  Having spent the day before on genealogy brought to light the fact that I had numerous digital records still to be processed -- they just had to be put in proper order.  So that is what I did.  The files are now all organized, by generation, and now I have to do the grunge work that is required to produce the final documents.  I have my work cut out for me in the new year!
On Tuesday, I went into the big city for my physio, which I needed desperately, having missed last week's session due to the weather conditions.
And this trip was being combined with many errands, plus an overnight at MLC's so John could get some more painting done around here.
Before I got to physio, I made several stops en route -- Christmas is coming you know.
And after physio, I went to visit my good friend LC, whom I hadn't seen in quite some time (it was a surprise drop-by and fortunately for me, she was delighted to see me).
Then I went to MLC's place and we had numerous errands to run before picking up MBB at daycare.
MLC and I were very productive before we collected MBB and then we headed off to his very favourite restaurant to have dinner (but first we stopped to deliver a special package to my hairdresser -- it is Christmas, after all).
We ordered our dinner very promptly and were warned that it might take a while since the kitchen was extremely busy.
OK, we were warned.
Fine by us (although both MLC and MBB were really really hungry!).
After waiting an inordinate length of time, and after receiving numerous apologies and assurances from our server that ours was coming right up, our server arrived at our table with the manager in tow.
"We're really sorry," said she, "but the printer broke and your order never made it to the kitchen.  But we've now put a rush on your dinner so hopefully it won't be too much longer."
"Oh," we said, "that's too bad because this little guy," (pointing to MBB), "is really really hungry."
And let me tell you, my beautiful boy was being an awfully good boy while he waited -- he really is a remarkably well-behaved young man, a delightful young man indeed!
The manager must have come to our table another three times to apologize before our dinners finally arrived (one time sending over nachos and salsa to tide us over).
MLC suggested that they must be used to being yelled at when these things happen, given all the apologies we were receiving.
They very nicely brought MBB's food immediately that it was ready, telling us that ours would be "right up," and apologizing again.
And shortly after our food did arrive, the manager appeared at our table again.
"I won't disturb you while you're eating," she said, "but your meal is on me.  I can't tell you how much I appreciate that you didn't yell at me or the server when your dinner was delayed so long.  And again, I'm really sorry for the long wait.  But thank you for not yelling at us."
We really had a chuckle over that -- MLC's assessment was right on the money!
Later, once MBB was in bed and shortly before I crashed, MLC left to go to the movies with her neighbour.
The next morning, MBB decided that he was "still too full from dinner the night before" to go for breakfast with me.  So we delivered him to his daycare before MLC and I went for breakfast ourselves.  We haven't done that since before MBB was born, I'm sure!
When we got to MLC's work, she got out of the car (I always make her drive in the city) and as I was getting out of the passenger side, the heel of my boot caught on the strap of my purse.  I was propelled out of the car with such force that I had no control over where I was going.  I did manage to avoid landing on either hip though, but landed on the heels of my hands and on my left knee.  Man, did it hurt!
I stayed down trying to collect myself, and realized that I first had to untangle myself from my purse before I could even attempt to get up.  And I wondered why MLC hadn't come running around the car to help me.
It turns out she hadn't realized what happened because she had gotten out of the driver's seat and turned her attention to the back seat to get her purse and bag, but she had wondered why she couldn't see me!  (We had a good chuckle about that -- later.)
Anyway, I was -- and am -- OK but my left knee somehow managed to get cut sufficiently well to bleed significantly (the inside of my jeans was stained with blood, yet the fabric is not torn!).  I came home and iced my knee, and tried to take a nap -- but as usual, naps don't happen for me apparently.
My left knee has an ugly scrape on it with significant bruising, but that's it.  My wrists are still a little sore but not anything to worry about.  My mid-back, however, feels as though it suffered a whip-lash type of injury -- it is really sore even today, more than 24 hours after the fall.
So today, I've just been taking it easy.
Gotta rest up and be ready for the big man's visit tomorrow night.

No comments: