Friday, December 24, 2010

Finally, it's Christmas Eve!

Wow, I thought it would never get here!
I love Christmas.
I'm still, after all these years, like a little kid on Christmas morning.
I wake way too early.
I immediately go get the stockings (which I filled, you realize).
I take them into the bedroom and wake John, trying to sound all 'cited like a child, telling him that "Santa came!"
And John, being the sweetheart that he is, plays right along with me.
He sits up, rubs his eyes in wonder, and proceeds to open the goodies in his stocking (and feigns surprise because by now, he knows precisely what to expect).
Once we've demolished the contents of the stockings, we move out to the living room where the presents are (the difference this year of course, is that we will move to my sanctuary to open our gifts because that is where Santa should visit this time -- I hope!).
My sanctuary, ready and waiting for Santa -- cookies and milk will be put out at bedtime.
BUT, before we're allowed to open gifts, we must have a glass of juice.  That's a carry-over from my childhood when my parents always required that we at least have a glass of juice before opening gifts (the thinking was that we were getting little else in nutrition for several hours, given all the excitement of the morning).
Once we've opened our gifts (from each other, and from Santa -- yes, we each get each other gifts from Santa because Santa still comes to our house!), we shower and dress for the day.
And then we head into the big city to have what has become our traditional breakfast at my little chickadee's home.
We started this tradition, somewhat by accident, when my beautiful boy was about a year old.  Naturally, I couldn't handle NOT being with them on Christmas morning so we've always driven in early in the day.  MLC figured that if we were going to be driving in anyway, she might as well feed us.
And a tradition was born; a tradition that we all now very much enjoy.
John salivates about the scrumptious meal for days leading up to it!
Every year, MLC sends out an official invitation, although we've usually discussed the logistics ad nauseum by the time the invite arrives.  It's not like we don't all know that we're going to be there.
Included in the event is my good friend, RLR, who happens to be one of MLC's other mothers.  RLR's immediate family lives in Saskatchewan -- we are her "Ontario" family and she has been part of our Christmas mornings all of MLC's life.
Here's hoping Santa is good to you!
Have a wonderful Christmas everyone.

No comments: