Tuesday, December 14, 2010

No physio today ...

I've cancelled my physio appointment for today.
There's simply no way I'm up to the longer than usual drive to and from the big city that can be expected due to the harsh weather we're having.
Of course, I might not be able to go anywhere anyway ... probably won't be able to get out of my garage (it sits atop Mount Methuselah, as I call the hill that becomes insurmountable with very little ice conditions).
I had big plans for today too.
Several stops en route to physio, not the least of which was a brief visit with my little chickadee.
Oh well, you can't have 'em all, as someone once said.
It just makes no sense to put myself through the agony of such a trip when I know the impact on my body would far outweigh any benefit I would derive from the treatment.
My pain level has been through the roof lately, primarily emanating from the hip joint.
And nothing seems to give me relief.
There is no position I can sit in to be comfortable.
No position I can put my legs in to be comfortable.
No position I can lie in to be comfortable.
It doesn't matter what I'm doing -- I am in dire pain.
Of course, it doesn't help that I have had to stop using the TENs machine, hopefully only for a while.
You see, my wonderful body for some reason decided to react to the electrodes a while back.
Yup, I broke out in an angry rash from the electrodes and have had to suspend use of the unit until the response stops.  The last time I tried using it, I developed the rash after only a short period so that is a no-go for a while longer yet.  I have no idea why after all these years of using the TENs I would just now start being allergic to the electrodes.  But that's my body:  find something that works well and it decides that was fun, now what are you gonna do????
And because of what painkillers do to my system (bowel function), I try not to take them.  But obviously, I'm going to have to break down and use them because I can't continue like this.
I'm wearing my compression shorts; I'm using the compression brace; I'm using the acupen; I'm doing my stretches; I'm going for my physio sessions (well, except for this week); I'm going for my massage therapy.
I'm doing everything I can to keep the pain under control and it still isn't enough.
Each modality has its application and provides relief but each has its limitations -- and none works continuously.
I need a pain-relieving implant of some kind I guess (haven't we had this discussion already?)
As for today, I guess I'll manage to find something to fill in my time.
The Christmas cards are in the mail; the meat pies are baked; the village is up; the gifts are wrapped.
There's nothing left to do but play now, and wait for Santa to get here.

No comments: