Saturday, July 19, 2014

New Surgery Date

Got a call from my orthopedic surgeon's office on Thursday.
I am scheduled to have my right hip replaced on Monday, September 22nd.
Yikes, that's only two months away!
Am I nervous?
You bet I am.
But I'm not nearly as nervous this time as I was last.
I now have the experience of the left hip under my belt so I know full well what to expect.  (OK, rehab won't be fun but it will be so worth it at the other end of the journey!).
The first surgery was done under spinal anesthesia and used propofol to "put me under."  It is assumed that I experienced an apnea event and that is what woke me.  They had to resort to general anesthesia from that point on (about five minutes into the surgery) so I'm thinking they may as well use it right from the get go.  I really would prefer not to wake up again!
I also have the experience of my tummy tuck behind me so I know I can tolerate general anesthesia as long as the required protocols are followed.  (And the tummy tuck surgery was twice as long as the hip replacement surgery.)
I will request general anesthesia for this surgery and can cover that territory when I meet with the anesthesiologist prior to the surgery.  As I said, I really don't want to wake up during the surgery!
I've reviewed my file from the first surgery and confirmed that I have been doing a version of the pre-surgery exercises while waiting for this call.  Now, I will more formally follow the protocol for readying myself for the surgery.
And the next two months are gonna fly by as I attend to various and sundry chores to ensure that everything runs as smoothly as possible around here during my down time.  Things went relatively well last time so we don't anticipate too many problems -- other than my absolute boredom with not being able to be active.
But I did it once and lived to talk about, so I'm sure I can do it again.
Two months you say?
YIKES!!!!!!!!!!  I better get crackin'!

No comments: