Wednesday, July 23, 2014

A new era of hearing for me

I'm getting my new hearing aids today.
Digital ones.
The technology has come so far in the six years since I started wearing bilateral aids.
Along with these new fangled ones (which will look much like my old ones), I am getting a streamer/remote which I will wear around my neck.  

"Streamer Pro is the gateway to the ConnectLine system and is worn around the neck. When hearing aids are linked to Streamer Pro, practically any audio source can be transmitted through Streamer Pro to the hearing aids using a wireless Bluetooth connection or a mini jack cable."  With it I will be able to connect via bluetooth with my cell phone, should I choose to do so.  That will enable me to answer my cellphone with the touch of a button, without digging the phone out of my purse!
But the more exciting news about this acquisition is the microphone accessory that I ordered.  "The discreet microphone is worn by your conversation partner and connects wirelessly to Streamer Pro, allowing you to hear the other person’s voice clear and loud directly through your hearing aid.  ConnectLine microphone picks up your partner’s voice, filters out surrounding noise and transmits wirelessly, directly to the Streamer at a distance of up to 15 meters."
The applications are many for my use of the microphone.
When I meet a friend for lunch at a restaurant, my dining partner can wear the microphone and it won't matter how noisy the blasted place is.  I'll be able to have a conversation!
And in the car, for instance, MHYC can wear the microphone and I just might be able to hear him when he talks to me from the back seat.  Or, MLC (or my husband or whoever it is sitting beside me) can wear the microphone and maybe -- just maybe -- I won't have to constantly ask them to repeat themselves.
Imagine the reduced frustration level on everyone's part!
The audiologist tells me that I can also place the microphone in front of the television speakers and voila -- sound directly to my ears.  Not necessary to have the volume as high.  (Well, OK, in our household my husband might want to hear the program too!)  But it will certainly be a nice change when I'm overnighting at MLC's!  She won't have to constantly be telling me what is being muttered during whatever program we're watching. What a treat that will be!
Can you tell I'm looking forward to this new era of hearing?

No comments: