Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Early mornings, coffee, and puzzles

Our days start very early in this household.
For no particular reason other than we are awake.
Now, by early, I mean 3:30 - 4:00 am early.
Once the newspapers are delivered, the coffee is made and our day is officially started.
We retire back to the bedroom with the newspapers, coffee in hand, and John reads the National Post while I read the Ottawa Citizen.  (We switch papers at bedtime.)
I have always enjoyed reading my morning paper with my morning coffee.  Have done so most of my adult life.  Even managed to do it most of my working life.
But without a doubt, the best part of this morning ritual -- for me -- is when I get to the puzzle page.  Nothing relaxes me like sitting with a crossword puzzle to solve.  Don't know what it is about puzzles that brings me so much pleasure but it is truly a pastime that totally relaxes me.  Perhaps it is the fact that solving them requires my total focus, which takes my mind off everything else.
I find working on a jigsaw puzzle has the same calming effect on me.
Perhaps that's why I so love genealogy too.  That is puzzle solving in the extreme!

No comments: